The EU4TECH WB PoC Project is funded under multi-country IPA to provide hands-on support in taking 40+ promising inventions in the Western Balkans to market.
Specific objectives of the project:
- To foster and support the development of a healthy technology transfer pipeline in the region;
- To provide early stage support that addresses the TRL3 to TRL4 ‘gap’ (Proof of Concept and Validation) between traditional funding for innovation in public research organisations and funding provided by private enterprises;
- To increase the capacity of researchers and intermediaries to identify a robust route to market and build a strong commercialisation strategy;
- To contribute to the development of local business angel and venture capital investor base;
- To encourage knowledge exchange and technology transfer across and beyond the region;
- To understand what concrete measures could be put in place to facilitate the growth of technology transfer focused financial instruments such as equity investments.
Applications must come from either Public Research Organisations (PRO) or, where eligible, from an enterprise.
PROs must either be state funded or, if private, they must be able to demonstrate that they are not-for-profit and that they appear in a national register of accredited Higher Education Institutions or recognised Research Institutions e.g. a current Ministry of Education or Science data-base.
Small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) are eligible to apply including micro-businesses and start-ups. Large enterprises are not eligible for this support.
Enterprises from North Macedonia and Serbia: Please note that enterprises from North Macedonia and Serbia are not eligible for this action due to over-lap with existing national schemes. Enterprises from Serbia are referred to the Serbian Innovation Fund. Enterprises from North Macedonia are referred to the Fund for Technology and Innovations.
Enterprises from the WB4 (excluding North Macedonia and Serbia) are eligible to apply but the availability of similar local support schemes will be taken in to consideration at the evaluation stage.
Duration: January 2020 – December 2021
Coverage: Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia)
Contacting authority: DG NEAR with technical support from JRC